I became an attorney because of my interest in real estate and business, but mostly because I wanted to help people and make a difference in their lives. While in law school I also discovered my passion for bankruptcy, which is closely related to business and finance. For over 30 years I’ve had the privilege of helping others through some of their toughest times.
David J. Winterton, Senior Counsel
David J. Winterton, Senior Counsel, has been practicing law for over 30 years. He focuses primarily in the areas of bankruptcy, corporate structuring, corporate reorganization, real property law, and civil litigation. In addition, he was the lead attorney in the successful reorganization of the following hotels and casinos: Riviera, Aladdin, and Maxim, as well as many other multi-million dollar corporations. Whether you’re a large corporation or an individual needing simple legal advice, Mr. Winterton’s expertise expands to cover all clients and legal needs.
Mr. Winterton has successfully obtained millions of dollars awarded to his clients, including a jury verdict of $10.8 million in a real estate case. Additionally, he has considerable experience representing bankruptcy clients in litigation, and he has also represented numerous homeowners and homeowners’ associations.
Mr. Winterton is also a Certified Arbitrator within the Court Annexed Mandatory Arbitration Program and has served as an arbitrator in over 130 cases. This experience has given him an edge when going to trial because he completely understands where a judge may be coming from. He has also lectured at various seminars accredited by the State Bar of Nevada and the American Bar for continuing legal education. He is also the originator and first president of the Bankruptcy Section of the State Bar of Nevada.
Mr. Winterton is respected in his field for his expertise. Most clients would describe him as having a calming influence that brings a sense of assurance and peace during their most difficult struggles. In his free time, Mr. Winterton enjoys running, golfing, traveling and serving with the Boy Scouts of America. He is an avid sports fan, and enjoys attending sporting and cultural events with his wife and two daughters.
- Pepperdine University School of Law, 1985
- Brigham Young University, 1981
- State Bar of Nevada and the Utah State Bar
- US District Courts for the Districts of Nevada and Utah and the United States Supreme Court
- Certified Arbitrator, and has mediated over a hundred different cases
- Served on a joint committee by the ABA regarding changes to the Bankruptcy Law
- Mr. Winterton became a Board Certified bankruptcy expert in 1995
- Licensed real estate broker since 1983 in Utah and Nevada.
- Guest lecturer at several seminars accredited for continuing legal education.
- Landlord Tenant: Implied Warranty of Habitability, Utah B.J. (January, 1990)
- Current Issues in Banking Law Nevada, N.B.I. (1992) (coauthor)
- Mastering Real Estate Titles and Title Insurance in Nevada, N.B.I. (1994)
- Keys to Success in a Real Estate Transaction in Nevada, N.B.I. (1999)
- Title Examination in Nevada, L.E.S. (2001)
- Planning Ahead to Avoid Tenant Problems, N.B.I. (2002) (coauthor)
- Notice to Quit, N.B.I. (2002) (coauthor)
- The Eviction Process, N.B.I. (2002) (coauthor)
- Other Preliminary Issues to Consider, N.B.I. (2004)
- Ethical Challenges, N.B.I. (2004)
- Avoiding Civil Liability, N.B.I. (2004)
- Title Examination in Nevada, L.E.S. (2004)
- Title Examination, L.E.S. (2005)
- Ethical Considerations: Attorneys’ Fees, Conflicts of Interest Multiple Representation, and Disclosure of Defect in Property, N.B.I. (2007)
- Ethical Considerations: Attorneys’ Fees, Conflicts of Interest Multiple Representation, and Disclosure of Defect in Property, N.B.I. (2008)
- Leases: An Ounce of Prevention, S.E.S. (2011)
- Title Examination: Ethical Considerations and Litigation Affecting Title, L.E.S. ((2012)
- Collections: Enforcing Your Judgment, S.E.S. (2016)
- Ethical Considerations in Landlord Tenant Law, S.E.S. (2016)
Professional Recognitions and Awards
- 2015 Excellent AVVO Rating, recognizing that David J. Winterton has been widely recognized by the legal community for excellent professional conduct and experience.
- 2015 Worldwide Registry of Executive & Professionals certifies that David J. Winterton has qualified for inclusion among distinguished individuals recognized for their professional integrity, longevity, outstanding achievement in their respective fields and their innumerable contributions to society as a whole.
- 2014 The Valleys Top Lawyers Award to David J Winterton by Desert Companion Magazine.
- 2014 The 10 Best Client Satisfaction Award to David J. Winterton Recognizing Excellence Among Clients from the American Institute of Bankruptcy
- A special letter from Senator Harry Reid recognizing Mr. Winterton for the accomplishment and exemplary dedication he has demonstrated throughout his career; and numerous other awards in the past.